Everything you need to know about root canal treatment: FREE guide to endodontics
Root canal treatment is the popular name, but in medical terms, it is called endodontics. DentArbre dental clinic now offers you a free guide with useful information about root canal treatment or everything you need to know when undergoing dental treatment for conditions inside the tooth.
Read our guide and find out the important and useful information about nerve removal and your root canal treatment.
What is root canal treatment?
Diseases of the dental pulp and the apical periodontium are the subject of the dental specialization called endodontics . The term endodontics originates from two Greek words: endon – inside and odontos – tooth. Endodontics therefore deals with the treatments inside the tooth, beyond the hard tooth enamel. When we say root canal treatment , but also removing the nerve, we mean endodontics .
Endodontics includes therapeutic interventions on the soft tissues in the dental canals, for example, the treatment of infections or serious degenerative processes of the dental pulp.
Root canal treatment is a rather complex procedure and can only be performed by specialists, experienced dentists. It is a treatment that is carried out in stages because it requires a sequence of therapeutic procedures to eliminate the deep infection and protect the areas from further possible microbial aggression.
Root canal obturation to save the tooth: indications and contraindications
In endodontic treatment , a procedure called canal obturation is used to save a tooth. There are several causes that can lead to an infection at the root of the tooth, and without treatment, the tooth can be lost. Usually, an infection inside the tooth is accompanied by pain.
Root canal obturation is the simplest method by which the dentist will treat the infection and save the tooth.
When can root canal obturation be used?
Root canal obturation (root obturation) is the procedure that the dentist can use in the following cases:
• Root canal obturation is a recommended procedure for acute tooth root inflammation
• In the case of devitalization of a tooth, for example: the devitalized tooth will be used as a post for making a dental bridge
• When a dental restoration is desired and the health of the pulp is questionable, when there is a possibility that the pulp will be exposed during a restoration.
• Before apical resection (removal of the tip of the tooth root) and hemisection (splitting a tooth with multiple roots).
When can the root canal NOT be used?
But there are situations when root canal obturation is not a procedure that the dentist can resort to. These situations can occur in the following cases:
• Teeth that cannot be restored.
• Teeth with insufficient or problematic periodontal support.
• Teeth with negative prognosis or uncooperative patients.
• Poor oral hygiene that cannot be improved in a short time.
• Serious, uncompensated general diseases (serious coagulation disorders, sepsis ).
What does a root canal treatment entail?
With root canal treatment, the chances of the tooth being saved increase considerably. Root canal treatment involves, in short, treating the infection. The intervention involves the completion of several steps by the dentist:
• The tooth isolates itself from the rest of the oral cavity
• Access to the canals of the tooth is achieved (here it is vital to discover all the existing canals, which are not always equal in number to the roots, and then to determine their depth).
• This is followed by extirpation of the tooth pulp, for the complete removal of all devitalized and infected tissues.
• The channel is instrumented in a conical shape.
• The endodontist cleans and disinfects the canal, applies medicinal substances, depending on the severity of the infection.
• Next comes the sealing – or root canal obturation itself, and if the crown of the tooth is destroyed, as is often the case, it is rebuilt immediately after the root canal(s) treatment is completed.
• A dental crown is applied.
Can root canal treatment be avoided?
Infections in the pulp chamber, which reach the root canal, represent a direct threat to the health of the bone in which the tooth is supported. The root canal is a favorable environment for the life and development of pathogenic bacteria. The goal of the treatment is to sterilize the canal as effectively as possible, and then to seal it completely. In this way, the dentist eliminates any air pockets and, implicitly, space in which bacteria could multiply.
The better the sealing procedure is performed, the greater the chances are that the body will eliminate the infection and the intervention will provide a definitive solution to the problem.
For this reason, root canal treatment, performed with modern, high-precision instruments under a microscope, by a specialist, will address and solve the problem definitively. No one wants to come back in the future for the same treatment that could have been done at the highest level of quality from the very beginning.
Root canal or extraction? What are the advantages of root canal treatment?
Losing a natural tooth can have unpleasant consequences on several levels. From affecting mastication to aesthetics, extraction should be the last option we resort to. Treatment and tooth saving are always recommended. The sooner you act from the moment you notice a dental problem, the greater the chances that treatment will lead to saving the tooth.
A root canal treatment performed by an experienced doctor with the necessary technical equipment can be the definitive solution to the problem, while the extraction entails the need to replace the missing tooth, so new visits, new procedures to create a prosthesis, a bridge or for a dental implant, so other costs.
If you analyze all the costs of the procedures, from the first consultation to the final result, the cost of an endodontic treatment is much lower. Although more expensive than a simple filling, root canal treatment is a suitable solution and certainly cheaper than the prospect of an implant. And if an endodontic microscope is used , the chances of treatment success, from the first intervention, increase considerably. Therefore, no additional future expenses will be necessary in the case of correctly performed endodontic treatment.
Why choose DentArbre for root canal treatment?
When you turn to the team of doctors at the DentArbre office for root canal treatment, you have the best chance to treat once and for all. Our clinic is equipped with the latest generation endodontic microscope , with the help of which we know precisely all the important information, before the actual procedure. For example, did you know that some people can have extra channels in a table? The endodontic microscope helps us to know each case in detail.
With the help of the tools and experience of our team of doctors, we perform root canal treatments to the highest standard. If you are experiencing pain at the root of your tooth and suspect that it may be an infection, we invite you to schedule a quick evaluation today. Together we save the health of your teeth.
How much does a root canal cost?
The price of an endodontic treatment , root canal treatment, can vary depending on the complexity of the condition, the experience of the dentist, but also the tools that the doctor has at his disposal.
In the DentArbre dental clinic we work with an endodontic microscope with a magnifier 5- stop apochromatic 0.4/0.6/1/1.6/2.5, which means extremely precise field of view and focal lengths, superior optics. Our team of dentists has the necessary equipment for the best quality dental treatments.
Depending on each patient, the cost may vary. Below, you will find the list of endodontic treatments that we successfully perform in the DentArbre dental clinic , and on the Prices page you can consult the exact cost. If at this moment you do not know what intervention is necessary in your case, we invite you to schedule a consultation today. After the first consultation, you will know exactly everything that involves the treatment you need.
At DentArbre dental clinic, we perform the following endodontic interventions :
• endodontic treatment monoradicular tooth
• endodontic treatment multiradicular tooth
• Endodontic treatment with rotating instruments monoradicular tooth
• Endodontic treatment with rotary instruments multiradicular tooth
• Endodontic treatment monoradicular tooth under the microscope
• retreatment endodontic monoradicular tooth under the microscope
• Endodontic treatment of a multiradicular tooth under a microscope
• retreatment endodontic multiradicular tooth under the microscope
• Vital monoradicular excision
• Multiradicular vital extirpation
• Unblocking channels
• Corona-radicular device removal
• Pre -endodontic reconstruction
• Antiseptic treatment
• Devitalizing dressing
Why it is important to get root canal treatment as soon as possible
Endodontic treatment does not hurt. It is a procedure performed under local anesthesia and under the watchful control of the dentist during the entire period of the intervention. Root canal treatment is a perfect way to get rid of excruciating toothache and save your natural tooth.
With a correctly performed endodontic treatment , you avoid the recurrence of the infection. Endodontic treatment preserves 100% functionality of the tooth. The endodontically treated tooth looks exactly like a healthy one, it fulfills its role excellently in mastication, speech, aesthetics.